Work in progress
EN/ During the Normandy Campaign in 1944, the city of Caen, particularly its port – was destroyed by concentrated bombing. Fourteen years after the battle, the Port of Caen’s reconstruction was finally complete. The 300ha of the Presqu’île (Peninsula) of Caen is located between the city centre and the sea, and is mainly occupied by industrial structures among which some industrial monuments, and the port canal. Nevertheless, the port activity is no longer operating, and for about 30 years, the main part of this area has never changed. This gives to the place a very strange atmosphere – nearly a ghost town, as if time stood still. The other districts of the city that are at times visible from the port increase the feeling of a specific place, isolated from the rest of the town.